How to Create WordPress Custom Post Types With Plugin
Whenever you wish to publish any kind of content that is neither a post nor a page, that is when WordPress custom post types come into play.
Most of the time you will find them already included with the WordPress theme you have purchased. However, if they happen not to meet all of your requirements, you may want to create them on your own.
Creating blog posts in WordPress is pretty straightforward even without a plugin. However, in this article, we will show you how to install and use the Custom Post Type UI plugin that will enable you to create custom post types that are sure to capture everyone’s attention. Let’s begin!
- Install and activate Custom Post Type UI plugin
To install the Custom Post Type UI plugin, you can simply head to the admin area of the theme you have acquired and click on Plugins > Add New. Type Custom Post Type UI in the search bar on the right and select the Custom Post Type UI plugin. To install that plugin, you should simply click the Install Now button. Once it is successfully installed, the success message with the activation link will appear on your screen. In order to fully activate the plugin, you should click on the activation link, et voilà, the Custom Post Type UI plugin is now installed on your WordPress website.
- Go to CPT UI -> Add/Edit Post Types
To create a new WordPress custom post type, head to CPT UI > Add/Edit Post type.
- In Basic settings add the slug and the label for your post type
To add the slug and the label to your post type, go to Basic Settings.
- When you click on Add Post Type, your custom post type will appear in your menu on the left
Once you are done with setting the slug and the label for your post type, click on the Add Post Type. Your custom post type will appear in the menu on the left.
- In the custom post editor, check out the Additional Labels option for further customization
To set up additional labels and to customize more criteria for your custom post, go to the custom post editor.
- To add Taxonomies, go to CPT UI > Add/Edit Taxonomies
In order to add taxonomies to your custom posts, head over to your menu and choose the following: CPT UI > ADD/Edit Taxonomies
- Once you enter the slug and the name (for example Categories), attach them to the desired post type (in this case Menus) and click Add Taxonomy
In Basic Settings, you can enter the taxonomy slug and the label. In order to complete the process, you should attach the taxonomies to the desired post type. Upon selecting the post type, click the Add Taxonomy button.
- The taxonomy will appear in your Custom Post Type menu
Upon clicking the Add Taxonomy button, you will see the taxonomy you have just created appear in the custom post menu on the left.
- To add the new taxonomy to your post, go to CPT > Add/Edit Post Types and choose the Edit Post Types tab
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page where you will see the Built-in Taxonomies option. Tick the box next to the taxonomy you have created. Click the Save Post Type button to add the taxonomy to your custom posts.
- You can add more taxonomies this way, for example, Tags (just like you have both Categories and Tags in the Posts section of the menu)
- To create additional categories, go to your custom post type (in this case Menus) and then select the taxonomy you have added (Categories).
- Here you can add more items, just like you would for your blog post, e.g. for our Menus we can add the following – Drinks, Breakfast, Lunch, Desserts, and Dinner; type the name of the category that you wish to add and click the Add New Category button
- Here is the list of possible taxonomies/categories we can use in our case
- Now you can start adding single posts; go to your custom post type (in this case Menus) > Add New
Once you are done with this, you can start adding single posts. To do that, go to the menu and select custom post type you have created > Add New.
- You will see that that this field looks similar to the page or post editor. Start by entering the title for the item and adding the custom taxonomy (in our case Categories) to your post type
- Add your content to the editor
To add content to your post, simply type it in the editor.
- Below your custom taxonomy (on the right), you will see an option for adding a Featured Image
- Once you have added and customized each field, click on Publish
- If you would like to add more features to your custom posts, go back to CPT > Add/Edit Post Types and click the Edit Post Types tab
- Scroll down until you see this box and select the options you would like to add to your post
- Once you are done with that, click the Save Post Type button
Check out other functionalities of Custom Post Type UI. We hope that you found this article to be helpful. If you liked it, please feel free to check out some of these articles as well!